Managing Professional Boundaries Workshop
This workshop is designed to provide an overview of boundaries and the many ways in which they can be encountered and managed. There is a strong emphasis on practical examples of boundary issues throughout the programme and there will be examples of best practice in relation to boundaries offered throughout the training.
The programme is aimed at participants who wish to underpin and strengthen their existing knowledge around boundaries. There will be an element of self-care covered in the programme. Above all this is a practical application of relevant theory and practice in relation to boundaries.
This workshop is open to individuals and can also be delivered as in-house training to groups of employees.
This workshop is eligible for Learning Credits from The Psychological Society of Ireland and The Addiction Counsellors of Ireland (ACI) for CPD points.
NOTE: The training will comply with Government regulations relating to Covid 19. Should regulations not permit face to face training, participants will have the option of taking part in this workshop remotely, via Zoom.
The aim of this training programme is to enable participants to:
- Become aware of the importance of managing boundaries.
- Define what are good/bad boundaries.
- To highlight some of the areas where boundaries may become blurred and ways of proactively dealing with these.
- To identify where a person’s boundaries are not clear and appropriate responses to this.
- Define a “best practice” approach to managing boundaries.
- Understand the need to have an effective framework in relation to managing boundaries, i.e. confidentiality, duty of care, consent to share information, children etc.
- Manage professional boundaries, i.e. record keeping, ethical boundaries etc.
- Manage personal boundaries, i.e. self‐disclosure, use of supervision.
Attendees will be provided with a copy of the presentation and lnks to relevant literature to enable them to develop their understanding of boundaries appropriate to this level. Students will have the chance to discuss and explore issues relating to boundaries and the ways in which they have encountered this as an issue in their work. There will be the opportunity to allow participants to experience “real” situations and scenarios and to transfer the theory of the course into practice.
The methodology used in this training will be a combination of the following:
- Participative: The participants will be asked to contribute to the training both in the large group and also in smaller ones. There will be a number of exercises throughout the training that are designed for the group to be split up into smaller groups.
- Experiential: The training will allow participants to contribute by using examples of anonymous clients that they have worked with or are currently working with in relation to managing boundaries.
- Theory into practice: The training will allow some role‐plays that will encourage participants to put the theory of managing boundaries into practice.
- Information giving: There will be handouts and information on relevant reading that will be distributed on the days training.
- Worker led: The training will be flexible to the needs of the group.
Psychologists, Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Nurse Practitioners, Youth Workers, Social Care Workers or any profession where managing boundaries are important.
Connect with Your Trainer
The Learning Curve Institute will distribute a unique pre-course questionnaire to each participant in order to ensure the training meets the needs of everyone in the room and is tailored to the appropriate level while also covering specific situations or scenarios as highlighted by the group.
The Learning Curve Institute also offers a bespoke post course support system whereby students are provided with the contact details of the lecturer and are free to contact him/her with any questions they may have or that they would like the lecturer to help them with.
Attendees will each receive a Certificate of Completion in "Managing Professional Boundaries" from The Learning Curve Institute
People like what we do
"I enjoyed the day. Trainer was very informative, didn't feel the time going and content was educational and specific to my role". David Boyle, May 2019