Trauma Informed Practice
The purpose of this training is to start a conversation about how trauma and adversity affects and has affected those who use the services we provide and the appropriate responses we can implement and offer; to reflect on how others’ trauma experiences may affect those of us providing services – vicarious trauma and; to examine how we, as professionals, volunteers and peer workers, can embrace a trauma informed approach, including self-care, within our practice.
Members of The Psychological Society of Ireland and The Addiction Counsellors of Ireland can receive learning credits/CPD points for completing this workshop.
- To examine the challenge of trauma and why there is a relative silence and discomfort about this issue
- To begin to arm ourselves with approaches assisting how we might respond as trauma-informed practitioners - both in practical terms and in terms of encouraging agency responses, bearing in mind that trauma informed training requires a longer process than one day.
- To name and explore the connections between alcohol/drug use and trauma and to examine what we already know about these links
Introduction & Focus
Trauma Informed Care & Trauma Informed Principles
Conversation about language, counselling models and Practice
Vicarious Trauma, Self-care and Post-traumatic Growth and Resilience
Addiction and Trauma
- Increased understanding of Trauma
- Greater awareness of presence of Trauma in participant's workplace
- Better self-care awareness
- Increased understanding of relationship between Trauma and Addiction
Connect with Your Trainer
The Learning Curve Institute offers a unique post course support system whereby participants are provided with the contact details of the trainer and are free to contact him/her with any questions they may have.
People like what we do
"Great experience and thoroughly informative, group discussion very useful when discussing systemic trauma informed practice in particular. Tutor excellent".
Grace Power, February 2019
Certificate in Trauma informed Practice from The Learning Curve Institute.